Thursday 29 March 2012

Egg-fried rice noodles


So this evening in an ideal world I would be preparing for my interviews tomorrow. But I am desperate to tell you about what I cooked last night although I’m afraid I don’t have a photo at the moment because I forgot to take one in my haste to eat. I will add one soon because I will definitely be cooking this again.

Ingredients
Packet of rice noodles
4 cloves of garlic
1 chili (either green or red is fine)
2 onions
2 eggs
200g mushrooms (chestnut are tastiest!)
2 limes
soy sauce

Chop up the onion in a wok and started to fry it in a little very hot sunflower oil so they go crispy.

Chop and add the garlic, chili and mushrooms. Carry on cooking until mushrooms are cooked to your satisfaction.

Add noodles and a slosh of soy sauce. Stir for a few minutes.

Add egg. There are two methods (I used the first).
1.     Crack egg into wok, mix with the noodles immediately and stir until egg is almost cooked.
2.     Make a noodle free space at the side of the wok and crack egg in. ‘Chop’ the egg up with a spatula whilst it cooks, almost scrambling it. Mix in when cooked.

Microwave lime for 20 seconds (much more juice will come out if you do, science nuts tell me why?) and squeeze over noodles. I reckon this dish would benefit from some chopped coriander as well but then I always think food needs coriander.

Of course this dish is not a substantial meal on its own but I reckon it could be nicely teamed up with some baked/grilled/fried meat/fish and some steamed vegetables. You could serve in with some mackerel wrapped in tin foil with garlic, coriander and pak choi and baked in the oven and steamed spring greens. Or perhaps use it to soak up a Thai green curry? 

No comments:

Post a Comment